Thursday, December 10, 2009

This is about thanksgiving...SYKE!*

*Syke Definition: an interjectory word immediately proceeding a statement to denote falsehood of the statement

Many years later, as he faced the firing squad, Colonel Aureliano Buendía was to remember that distant afternoon when his father took him to discover cookies.


This is going to be a short post. It's not about thanksgiving. I'm sorry but I'm not ready to commit a piece of writing of that length.

Today before Madeline got back from Scarborough I decided to make cookies. Since no one was around to take pictures I took some on my MacBook Photobooth application. Predictably they are embarrassing and funny. Those are my favourite types of photos.


I decided to make Russian Tea Cakes. I'm not sure if my mom (HI MOM) has ever made these but if she has I was never lucky enough to taste them. Despite this I am very VERY familiar with these delectable delights. This is because my best friend in elementary school Lindsay DiCosimo used to bring them in to class whenever we had a bake sale. She always saved me the last few because she knew they were my favourite. In hindsight maybe that was a bad idea considered my flirt with morbid obesity as a child...



Recipe

Ingredients:

* 1 cup butter
* 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
* 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar
* 2 cups all-purpose flour
* 1 cup chopped walnuts
* 1/3 cup confectioners' sugar for decoration


Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C).
2. In a medium bowl, cream butter and vanilla until smooth. Combine the 6 tablespoons confectioners' sugar and flour; stir into the butter mixture until just blended.

3. Mix in the chopped walnuts. Roll dough into 1 inch balls, and place them 2 inches apart on an ungreased cookie sheet.
4. Bake for 12 minutes in the preheated oven. When cool, roll in remaining confectioners' sugar. I also like to roll mine in the sugar a second time.




In Soviet Russia Tea Cakes make YOU!





PS. Here's a photo of a bunch of carrots


1 comment: